Thursday, August 24, 2006

Splendour in the Grass

Have you seen the movie "Rebel Without a Cause" {Splendour in the Grass} with Natalie Wood and Warren Beatty? It is on DVD and VHS now. It is one of my all time favorites maybe because I saw it during that time when I could relate so well to what the actors were portraying. One scene that stays vividly in my mind is when the kids are in an English or literature class and Natalie (I think ) was asked to read this part in one of William Wordworth's collection of poems - "Intimations of Immortality"

'What though the radiance which was once so bright
Be now forever taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind;'

You have to see the film in order to understand why she cried as she was reading it......
Come on, be a romantic like me! (princess)

1 Comments:

Blogger MAHARLIKANG PILAK said...

I was trying to buy this DVD but it is not yet available in our place. They say maybe this weekend, Saturday or Sunday. We want to watch it again before I write this comment. It is the favorite movie of Raquel's mom, too. I checked out this poem collections. The first stanza pretty much expresses the same sentiment. The Splendor in the Grass part is the tenth stanza. I love poems like this too. You will be surprised at my own "creations" when I was in that young dreamer state. This blogging is pretty much a way of awakening our hidden sentiments and practice our way of expression. That is what many do not understand. It does not have to be original. Whatever it is that you want to share, publish it, whether it is of romantic theme, kindness, compassion or whatever. I believe everyone of us, at one time or another passed through that stage. Blogging, or reading blog entries, sort of push the rewind button and plays back the sentiment. andy

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home